Monday, February 25, 2008

Berry Good

Sunday morning, I woke up with a craving for freshly baked cookies. Then I remembered that I picked up some blueberries from the grocery the other day. I intended to make blueberry pancakes with it, but hmmmnn.... blueberry cookies would be a nice alternative.

With hubby still in bed, I started preparing the cookie. I wanted him to wake up to the sweet aroma of baking cookies, you know, just to surprise him a little bit too. But unfortunately, it didn't turn out that way since he got up before I was able to pop the cookies in the oven. :o(

These cookies are the soft kind, more cake -like, with a texture similar to that of scones. Aside from the blueberries, the cookies have almonds and lemon zest in it too. But here's my secret (well, not anymore) - I added an
ameretto liqueur (almond-flavored liquor) into it. Actually, the recipe called for almond extract, but since I didn't have any, I used the liquor instead - which I believe was what gave this cookie a unique almondy taste (is there a word "almondy"?). The amaretto and the lemon zest are the perfect combination.

Not only did we enjoy the cookies for breakfast, but we took some to our bible study group that night and our friends enjoyed them too. They are delicious!

For Moms out there - don't worry, these cookies are still kid friendly. The alcohol cooks off in the heat, so what you are left with is really just the concentration of flavor. You may want to try this as an alternative to chocolate chip cookies? Check out the recipe here.

Oh question -- why are the blueberries called blue when they're really purple? They should have been called purpleberries...hmnn.. I wonder...maybe I'll do a little reseach on this.

No comments: