Thursday, December 4, 2008

Apple & Horseradish Glazed Salmon

Photobucket
“It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas…la,la,la,la..”

I found myself cheerfully humming this classic Christmas tune as I walked my dog this morning. I can't deny it, Christmas is evident everywhere I look.

Immediately after Thanksgiving, people brought out their varied Christmas decors and got busy with them. There are the lights, the blow-up figures, flowers, glitters and so much more. They come in different colors, shapes and sizes.

My own neighborhood has transformed itself into a mini-Christmas village – minus the snow, of course. Hello, we live in South Florida so the closest we get for snow are the myriads of twinkling lights that adorn the roofs and facades of most houses. It sucks that we don't get snow... or good, depending on your perspective. You decide.

Nevertheless, it’s fascinating to watch the decors going up all around me, with people’s creativity expressed in many different ways, on so many different levels. Some houses have modest decors, some barely to none at all, while some also go all-out you’d think their house is a store front showcase, or even better, a mini-theme park. It's Interesting. Captivating. Enchanting. Must be the Christmas spirit.

Even the weather has cooperated lately which literally added to the Christmas atmosphere that I’m feeling. We’ve had the most pleasant weather this past couple of weeks in South Florida. It’s been cool, and for those who know, having cool weather here is a real treat for us. This means that the temperature is between 40’s – 70’s. Just perfect.
Photobucket
In anticipation of the holiday feast, I’ve decided to keep my food as light as possible, if I can help it! I know that in the days to come, I’ll be stuffing my face again with food and sweets. This is just my pathetic attempt to relieve myself of guilt from over indulgence during this holiday season, you know.. :o)

Well, this salmon dish is perfect for those trying to minimize calorie intake (like I’m doing) at the onset of Christmas. This dish doesn’t scream HEALTHY, which is a good sign because food that look healthy most of the time means a BORING one, at least to me.

Truth be told, I approached this recipe with much skepticism when I saw the horseradish and the apple jelly. What a weird combination, I thought. But curiousity prevailed, so I found myself doing this dish. And am I glad that I decided to try. If you like some sort of a sweet-sour/tangy dish, then this is just for you.

Not only is this packed with flavor, but it is quick to prepare as well. And the best part is, it's still in keeping with with the holiday flavors --- with the APPLE jelly, ya know. ***wink***.

I got this recipe from one of my fave food subscription magazine, Cooking Light . This magazine is my go-to for light but tasty dishes. I am submitting this as an entry to Bookmarked Recipes event by Ruth of Ruth's Kitchen Experiments

PhotobucketApple & Horseradish Glazed Salmon
from Cooking Light

1/3 cup apple jelly
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh chives
2 tbsps prepared horseradish
1 tbsp champagne vinegar
1/2 tsp kosher salt, divided
4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets (about 1 inch thick), skinned
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp olive oil

1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Combine apple jelly, chives, horseradish, vinegar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt, stirring well with a whisk.
3. Sprinkle salmon with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
4. Heat oil in a large nonstick, ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add salmon, and cook 3 minutes. Turn salmon over; brush with half of apple mixture.
5. Wrap handle of skillet with foil; bake at 350° for 5 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Brush with remaining apple mixture.
6. Serve with couscous, rice or any neutral flavored side dish.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh! I love healthy and easy to prepare dishes like this! I'm definitely going to try this one! :)

Ivy said...

Hi Jescel and thanks for visiting. I think that we are all in the Christmas mood and feeling cheerful. The salmon looks delicious. What is apple jelly? I've seen it again but have no idea what it is.

Jescel said...

Ivy, apple jelly is just a spread, much like apricot/strawberry jam.. instead of apple jam, they made apple jelly....

Unknown said...

yum! my kind of cooking fish!

Susan said...

Fantastic idea! I usually think of meat or cold cuts with horseradish, but why not fish? Looks delish!

Anonymous said...

Oh man! I just had salmon for dinner and looking at your photo makes me want to eat again!

grace said...

if ever i was gonna like salmon, it would be from this recipe. as it just so happens, someone recently gave me some apple jelly, and i hadn't any idea what to use it on (other than bread)! now i know. :)

Anonymous said...

The salmon looks perfect! Now if only they sold salmon fillet in this part of the world... (*sigh!*)

Jescel said...

Pinky -- you can always fillet the fish yourself :o)

Unknown said...

hi jescel, this is just perfect... light but full of flavors... yum... :)

Anonymous said...

sounds and looks delish! i miss fish! it's been some time since we last cooked one:(...and i also love it when it's just 50s-70s, ok pwede na rin ang 40s:) instead of the teens that we had yesterday! arrgghhh!

Shalimar said...

i love anything that goes with salmon I do feta, walnut mix with thai sauce too

but this one will be on my menu next week....

am flying to London.... give me a buzz I can share you my swiss xmas cookies..

Anonymous said...

Oh my! The combination of flavors is divine! I can't wait to try this out! Happy Holidays x

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'd like to add this to my list of "you have to cook for me cause I'm a missionary" menu :P
But I think I'd be the only one to eat - my picky family!
Just two days!!!!

Jan said...

Now that salmon looks delish! I am loveing the idea of apple and horseradish!!