Monday, March 23, 2009

White Chocolate Macadamia Cookies & 100th Post

Photobucket

It’s my 100th post! Yay!

I don’t know what but the number 100 sounds like a big deal, huh? It’s like reaching a milestone. It did take me a year to reach 100 posts but still, it is some sort of an achievement considering that I’ve had homepages in the past that I haven’t attended to after the novelty wore of… However this time, I don’t think I’ll ever outgrow this blog, at least, not for a very long time.

This past week turned out to be eventful for us -- an action packed, hair-raising thrill of an experience. I’m not talking about the Twilight movie (which was neither scary nor suspenseful) but rather, I’m talking about our REFGRIGERATOR CATCHING FIRE!

Yep, we had fireworks right in my own kitchen. Imagine the horror of having our fridge burst into flames right before me? You don’t see that everyday, do you? We had power outtage one evening, and the surge of current when the electricity came back on apparently was too much for my old, faithful fridge that she gave up on us. She went out not just with a bang but with fireworks to boot… literally!

Thankfully, the fire didn’t catch any paper, plastic or cloth nearby (there wasn’t any, whew!) so it went out immediately just as instantly as it happened. But of course, I already screamed “FIRE!” to the top of my lungs that Mr. J must have leaped from upstairs going down to the kitchen as he was there in an instant. Scary thing, huh? Once again, I am just so grateful that nothing worse happened – it could have razed our house to the ground, you know.

Well, this leaves us with no choice but to get a new fridge! Yipee! And who wouldn’t want a new fridge? Yeah, I wish that the timing was better (with what’s going on in the economy, I don’t think we should be spending on anything right now), but this case is an exception. We gotta do what we gotta do, right?


Photobucket

After all that excitement, I certainly needed something to calm me down .. something familiar, comfortable and easy but yummy - like this white chocolate macadamia cookies.


This is Mr. J and I's all-time favorite cookie. It's especially good for me as I need to stay out of caffeine, which dark chocolates (or regular ones for that matter) have plenty of. Though technically, white chocolate is not really chocolate - but it's a good enough subsititute for me. I'm willing to be fooled, if it's this good.

So, do you like your cookies crunchy or soft? Well, I'm kind of in between. I like them not to crunchy - I like them a bit softer, so I underbake them a little bit (about 2-3 mins), and just leave them a minute or two on the cookie sheets before removing them. Also, I feel like it's better to toast the nuts before mixing them in the batter as it helps heighten the flavor of the macadamia in the cookies.

Keep these away from you... They're dangerous. You don't want to eat them all at once, do you?

Photobucket

White Chocolate Chip Macadamia Nut Cookies
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 teaspoons baking soda
10 ounces white chocolate* (chips or bars cut in chunks)
1 cup macadamia nuts*, chopped into chunks

1. Heat oven to 375 F. In large bowl, beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt with electric mixer until creamy.
2. Add eggs, beat well. Stir together flour, and the baking soda; gradually add to butter mixture,beating until well blended.
3. Stir in white chocolate chips and macadamia nuts.
4. Drop by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheet. Make sure to space them evenly to allow for spreading, about 1-2 inches apart.
5. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until set. (Edges are golden brown and center is set.)
6. Cool slightly, remove from cookie sheet to wire rack to cool completely.

*NOTE: Use good quality chocolate like Ghirardelli, Callebaut or Godiva. It makes a difference. If you're toasting the nuts, make sure that you cool them first before adding on to the batter. If you can't find macadamia around, probably a good substitute would be cashew nuts. As mentioned above, undercook slightly for softer cookies.

28 comments:

grace said...

congrats on 100 posts, so sorry about your fridge fiasco, and awesome classic cookies. that white chocolate-macadamia nut combination gets me every time. :)

Unknown said...

Oh My Word, these look absolutely delicious! I love them . You photographed them so beautifully too!! Looks like they walked off the Martha Stewart magazine!

Maria said...

Happy 100! Glad you are celebrating with cookies!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your 100th post! The cookies look absolutely scrumptious!

Oggi said...

Congrats on the 100th post, the cookies look delicious, mmmmm.

Your fire experience reminds me of mine a year ago which was thankfully a false alarm, literally. I called the fire department and they arrived in less than 15 minutes..very efficient. The wait was agonizing because I thought my house was going to explode.:)

Anonymous said...

Wow...100 posts! Congrats... glad you're alright... can't wait to see the pic of your new fridge ;)
The cookies look super delish.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Congratulations on the 100th post! These cookies look extremely good! Macadamia and white chocolate, now that's a great combo!

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

The cookies! I wanted to grab one and taste it, hahaha :)

Happy 100th post :)

Anonymous said...

That must have been a frightening experience and thank God nothing worse happened.

The cookies! I wanted to grab one and taste it, hahaha :)

Happy 100th post :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your 110th post and on your new fridge! Your cookies look delicious and indeed like they should come with a temptation warning ;)

jesse said...

Ooo, congratulations on your 100th posts! Your cookies look dangerously addictive... and wonderful photography as usual!

Culinary Wannabe said...

Holy cow! I can't believe that happened! All I'm picturing right now is that commercial where the woman is dreaming of destroying her fridge so that she can get a new one. Have you seen that? Yeah, I'm a marketers dream. :) Anyways, congrats on the 100th post and good-luck with the new fridge!

My comfort food network said...

The cookies and the photos look absolutely scrumptious. Too bad your fridge gave up on you, but on the bright side you get a brand new fridge. And thank God that your house is intact, that's the last thing you want to happen.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the 100 post! AWESOME! THese looks crummy!MMMM! thanks for sharing :)

Mary Bergfeld said...

These really look delicious. Congratulations on your 100th. I wanted to thank you for stopping by my site.I hope you'll come often.

Daniel said...

Let me also join in and congratulate you on your 100th post! It's a great milestone and I hope it's the first of many, many more posts!

Dan
Casual Kitchen

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your 100th post! I just brought some macadamia nuts back from Hawaii, and I'm thinkin' I need to try these cookies. They look soooo yummy!

KitchenMaus said...

Congratulations on your 100th post! I sometimes think your busy but then here you are on the 100th!

Macadamia nuts, I love it anyway served or included in a dish/bakes.

I always forget to add your page but now I've added you on my list ha. Thanks sa pagvisit lagi!

test it comm said...

Those cookies look great!

Annie said...

Congrats on your 100th post!! It goes by fast.
I'm totally drooling over these cookies. By the way if you like white chocolate, I hear the guittard is really good.

MUSHROOMSfromHOME said...

congratulations on your 100th post! your white chocolate macadamia cookies are simply beautiful!

Cynthia said...

Stunning pics are a great celebration! Congratulations and here's to another 100!

Juliana said...

Congratulations on your 100th post...and what a nice way to celebrate...COOKIES! Love macadamias.

Jude said...

Congrats on your 100th post!
I like my cookies underbaked a little, too. Maybe that's why cookie dough ice cream is so popular.

Sara said...

Congrats on the 100th post! I love white chocolate, I can't get enough of it. These cookies look delicious.

The Duo Dishes said...

We're late to say congrats, but congrats nonetheless! These cookies are a nice way to celebrate. And thanks for checking out our site. :)

Maris said...

Congrats!! 100th post is an exciting accomplishment.

abby said...

thanks for posting the recipe! i love this cookie second to oatmeal!