Monday, March 10, 2008

Top O' The Mawnin' To Ya!

I like the T-Mobile TV commercial showing a guy who keeps making mistakes while leaving messages for his last night's date. There's one particular version where he says "top o' the mawnin' to ya" which never fails to make my husband and I chuckle everytime we see it on. So funny.

Well, what I have here for you today is something that I hope will give you the "top o' the mawnin'" feeling - one of my breakfast sandwiches. I've heard too many times that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. And I do agree with that, however, good breakfast in the morning has become a luxury, especially to those working guys & gals, like me, who are always pressed for time first thing in the morning. So, we have to be creative in making breakfasts-on-the-go. Well, today, I decided to make these croissant-egg omelette sandwhich for my hubby and I. Croissant is one of my favorite breads and it is my opinion that no matter what you pair it with, it's going to be delicious. But, this bread is not for those counting the calories, so be careful.

1/4 c of yellow onion (sliced thinly)
1/4 c of red bell pepper (diced)
1/2 c of ham (diced)
1/2 c of egg-beaters (or more, just eyeball the amount)
2 handfuls of pre-shredded italian mix cheese

salt, pepper, dash of tabasco to taste


Dice your veggie and ham the night before inorder to save you time in the morning. Then saute the veggies, followed by the ham. When the veggies are soft and the ham are cooked, add your eggs, then season with S&P. Please make sure to set your heat to low since eggs, when cooked in high temperature, can really get stiff. Anyway, when you see that the eggs have dried up a bit and the edges have pulled away from the pan, then it's time to fold the omelette. I just fold it into half since it's going to be eaten as a sandwich anyway.


In the meantime, slice your croissants in half and put them in the toaster oven, just enough to warm them through. When you take out your croissant, add the cheese on both halves. The cheese will act as a glue to your egg. Then place your omelette on top of the cheese, add a dash of tabasco for a little heat, and that's it.


I did this omellete first thing when I got up from bed. When the sandwiches were done, I wrapped them in foil, set the oven toaster to 200 degrees and just let the sandwhiches hang out there until we were ready to leave. This way, we'd leave with warm sandwiches. Also, I made our coffee (decaf for me) and poured them onto our travelling mugs . There it is, our breakfast to go.

No comments: