Sunday, August 10, 2008

Ricotta Pancakes With Roasted Apples & Prosciutto

Photobucket
I am thankful that when it comes to television, Mr. J and I don't have a problem as far as what shows to watch. We like almost the same programs - I watch what he watches, and he likes to watch what I watch. My only problem with him is when he's got the remote control - he changes channels so much I get dizzy! He loves to scan the channels, and when commercial break comes, his fingers get busy with the remote almost like an instict. He can't just stay in one channel. He just has to look around.

I know though, that this is a habit not unique to Mr. J alone. This is a guy thing. It must have something to do with the nature of men.. their nature to explore and conquer?

Photobucket
Anyhow, we were watching Tyler Florence over in FoodNetwork on Saturday afternoon. We just got intrigued with these cheesy pancakes. Coupled with the prosciutto and the apples.. this breakfast looked like a winner.

"Hmmnn... Why don't we try that?" Mr. J. said. "But you don't like cheese", I said to him. Mr. J always teases me because I love cheese a lot. He smiled and said, "well, it's ricotta. I'm willing to try it". So that settled it. I have no problem trying Tyler's ultimate pancakes.

So that very day I went to the grocery and picked up what we needed. Mr. J didn't expect for us to have the pancakes that very next day,so he was a bit surprised. Since it's Sunday, I thought it was a good time. So, why wait?

This breakfast then is a collaborative effort between Mr. J and I. I love it when we cook together. I made the pancake batter, but Mr. J took care of the flipping, and cooking. The prosciutto and apple wasn't much of a problem because both gets thrown in the oven.

As for these pancakes, one really has to be careful not to use too much heat. The pancake is different in that it cooks very slow, due to the cheese in it I suppose. So if you use very high heat, the outside will get burned and the inside will be raw.. that's not going to be good at all... So this breakfast particularly needs a lot of TLC (tender loving care). (Incidentally, in the Philippines, we call them HOTCAKES, and not pancakes..)

So just be patient, because you're going to be rewarded with a very delicious breakfast.. heavy and rich, but delicious. This breakfast sustained us, so much so that we didn't get hungry until dinner!
Photobucket
Ricotta Pancakes With Roasted Apples & Prosciutto
recipe from Tyler Florence

For the topping:
12 slices prosciutto
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, optional
4 Golden Delicious apples
1/2 stick butter, melted
1/4 cup maple syrup

For the pancakes:
2 cups ricotta
4 large eggs, separated
1 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch salt
Butter, for cooking
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting, optional
1 cup maple syrup, warmed on stove-top

For the topping:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Lay the slices of prosciutto out in a single flat layer. Season with some salt and freshly ground black pepper, if desired, and pop into the oven. Roast the prosciutto until crispy, about 10 to 15 minutes.
3.Cut each apple into thirds, remove the cheeks and discard the core. Slice each piece into 4 and toss with butter and maple syrup.
4. Transfer to a roasting pan and place in the oven. Roast the apples until they are fork-tender and slightly caramelized on the top, about 30 to 45 minutes depending on ripeness of the fruit.

For the pancakes:
1. Combine the ricotta, egg yolks, buttermilk, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a large mixing bowl.
2. Sift the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together into the ricotta mixture and stir until fully combined.
3. In a separate bowl whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form and then gently fold into the batter.
4. Heat a large nonstick pan over medium heat and add a little butter. Cook pancakes at a time using a 6-ounce ladle or measuring cup to pour the batter into the pan.
5. Cook the pancakes on 1 side until they set. When small bubbles appear on the uncooked surface, flip the pancakes and cook until golden on both sides, about 6 minutes (or longer). Keep the pancakes on a plate set at the back of the stove under a dry towel to keep warm while you make the rest.

To serve, lay the pancakes on a plate and dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve with roasted apples, crispy prosciutto strips and warm maple syrup.

12 comments:

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

I saw that same Tyler Florence episode and was jonesing for the pancakes afterwards. Of course, being me, I didn't do anything about it. ;)

Which is why I'm drooling over your pancakes right now. They look fabulous!

Anonymous said...

We normally don't eat hotcakes.. este, pancakes for breakfast, but your recipe and yummy, tempting pictures got me thinking...

Chibog in Chief said...

oh this is something i will love but im sure my hubby won't :-) he hates the idea of sweet and salty together LOL well he is a french..i know he is missing a lot of thing :-) love this pancake yum

Unknown said...

whoa...i love sweet + salty or doing salty things to thing which are normally sweet vice versa...so, i love this creation!

hmm...at home, i am the one who's in charge of channel surfing and yes i change channels all the time! lol

grace said...

i've eaten pancakes and bacon. i've eaten pancakes and country ham. i've never tried pancakes and prosciutto, especially not in the same bite. i'm intrigued and i think it sounds great. :)

Cynthia said...

It is always a danger for me to watch Tyler Florence. One, I think he's so hot :) and two, he always makes me want to go into the kitchen and make something. I've tried many of recipes and loved them.

Anonymous said...

These look so delicious. And it's always wonderful to see breakfast pancakes with savory flavors. Grown up pancakes! Yum.

Anonymous said...

That looks absolutely divine! I love your blog and gave you the Tree of Happiness award. Please check out my website for more details.

Anonymous said...

Just about time for apple season. Very nice twist on a pancake!

Stop by my blog when you get a chance. Tag. You're it.

Unknown said...

oh my... hubby and kids would love this breakfast... thanks for sharing the recipe... :)

A.C. said...

*drooling*

Karen said...

Ooooooh, man! These look delicious. I'll HAVE to make them!