Monday, March 24, 2008

Pork And Squash Stirfry

In the Philippines, one of my favorite lunch time eats is a Chinese dish called "steamed rice". Uh-oh. It's not just plain rice as the name suggests. It is rice, yes, but with toppings - and you can get it with either pork, chicken or shrimp topping. Not one chinese restaurant here in the U.S. serve this dish (I didn't find it so far), so I always make it a point to have it whenever I am back in my beloved motherland.

This dish that I cooked for dinner tonight reminds me of steamed rice, as it is a very good rice topping. In fact, I cannot imagine eating this dish with something else other than plain white steamed rice.
Pork And Squash Stirfry:
1 (2 lb) butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 in. cubes
2 tbsp peanut oil
2 tbsp coarsely grated orange rind
1 tbsp minced peeled fresh ginger
½ tsp crushed red peppers
1 (3-in.) cinnamon stick, broken
1-1/4 lb pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 2-in. strips
2 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp Chinese black vinegar
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp cornstarch
¼ tsp salt
1 c chopped green onions
1. Place squash in a large microwave safe bowl. Add water to a depth of 1 inch. Cover with plastic wrap, vent. Microwave at HIGH 8 minutes or so until tender. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add rind, ginger, red pepper and cinnamon stick pieces. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove and discard cinnamon stick pieces.
3. Increase heat to medium-high. Add pork to pan, and sauté 4 mins or until browned. Combine sugar and next 5 ingredients (thru salt), stirring with a whisk. Add sugar mixture to pan; cook 2 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened, stirring constantly.
4. Add squash, toss to coat. Stir in green onions.
As always, I tweaked the recipe to suit my preferences and budget. First, I used balsamic vinegar in place of the Chinese black vinegar (chinese black vinegar is sweet and has a smokey taste). Or you may also use Worcesteshire sauce instead. Second, I used regular soy sauce but did not add any more salt. Third, I threw in some diced red bell pepper for color and taste. Fourth, instead of the peanut oil, I used a mixture of walnut oil and sesame oil. It's what I have in my pantry. And lastly, for the squash, I blanched it with boiling water for a couple of minutes. I prefer cooking on my stove top rather than using the microwave.

This recipe was adapted from the Cooking Light magazine.


A scientist in the kitchen said...

Nothing beats eating stirfries with rice! I haven't tried squash in stir fries, though. Parang ang sarap ng sauce :)

Jescel said...

parang pinakbet without the other veggies!

Sophie said...

I'm Sophie, Key Ingredient's Chief Blogger. We would like to feature this recipe on our blog. Please email if interested. Thanks :)