Carrot cake is my hubby's absolute favorite. And he's always like a kid when he know's I'm going to make one -- because he's truly the one who enjoys it the most. He eats it as is, or with vanilla ice cream on the side...Yum!
Carrot Cake With Cream Cheese Icing
(Recipe from Great American Home Baking)
2 c cake flour (less 2 tbsps if using all purpose flour)
2 tsps ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 c butter, softened
1 c granulated sugar
3 large eggs
3/4 c milk
3 med carrots, grated
1/2 c coarsely chopped walnuts, about 2 oz (or pecan if you prefer)
1/2 c (1 stick) butter, softened
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
2-1/2 c confectioner's sugar
1/4 c finely chopped walnuts (about 1 oz)
2 tbsp firmly packed light brown sugar
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-in round cake pan. Dust with flour;
tap our excess.
2. Mix together flour, cinnamon,baking powder and salt.
3. Beat together butter and sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time beating well after each addition. At low speed, alternately beat flour mixture and milk into butter mixture. Stir in carrots and nuts. Pour batter into prepared pan.
4. Bake cake until top springs back when lightly touched and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 40 minutes. Transfer pan to wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Turn cake out onto rack to cool completely.
5. To prepare icing, beat together butter and cream cheese at medium speed until completely smooth. Beat in vanilla. Beat in confectioner' sugar until well blended.
6. To prepare topping, mix together nuts and brown sugar.
7. Place cake on a serving plate. Spread icing over top and sides. Sprinkle with nut mixture.
*** NOTE: This time, I opted not to put a topping, but instead, mixed the finely ground walnuts in the frosting. I added 1-2 tbsp of milk to the frosting mixture as the addition of nuts have made the frosting thicker. Also, if you prefer, the icing can be omitted. Instead, dust top of cake with confectioner's sugar and serve.